HSF Weekly Meeting #154, 10 January, 2019
Present/Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Pere Mato, Daniel Elvira, Witek
Pokorski, Marco Clemencic, Eduardo Rodrigues, Liz Sexton-Kennedy,
Heather Gray, Riccardo Di Sipio, Caterina Doglioni, Chris Tunnel, Ben
Couturier, Tommaso Boccali, Concezio Bozzi, Gordon Watts, Andrea Rizzi,
News, general matters
- European Strategy submission from HSF done.
- Support letters for
- These were approved by the meeting.
- Liz will have a look and should sign the one for BEST4HEP on
behalf of HSF.
HSF/WLCG/OSG Workshop News and Planning
- Indico - registration is
open; 40 people signed up at the moment
- Please sign up quickly for planning (and early registration, up
to 1 Feb)
- Car sharing from Dulles - common organisation? It’s a
complicated problem, but no harm in starting a spreadsheet.
- Please advertise again in your community.
- There is a
that can be printed and put on your local notice boards.
- Reminder: David Lange, Michel Jouvin and Graeme Stewart organising
- General Sessions:
- Opening plenary session from HEP experiments and other
- Future plans, emphasis on areas for common R&D and tools.
- Technology watch and networking (Tuesday AM).
- New Workflows, New Facilities (Tuesday AM).
- Closing Session, visionary talk and discussion on the future
- HSF Sessions:
- Software on Accelerators (2 slots).
- Graeme, Michel, David L will convener; send suggestions
(generators, tracking, etc. style projects)
- Simulation (2 slots, with one in parallel with other HSF
sessions; idea is to use first slot for topics of general
interest, second for items that are more technical or narrow
- Reconstruction (2 slots, 1 “parallel”)
- Analysis (2 slots, 1 “parallel”)
- Software Tools (1 slot)
- Education and Training (1 slot)
- PyHEP (1 slot)
- One spillover BoF slot
- We ask groups to report on their session planning next week.
Activity and Working Group Updates
- Please set up mailing lists and have them added to the mailing
- We can help with website
- For the first announcement of new group’s activities you can send an
email to the whole HSF using the hsf-forum list (any subscriber
- Meeting before Christmas.
- Draft list of topics for the workshop - will start looking for
- Will have topical talks, not experiment focused.
- Email sent to the community this week on meetings and activities.
- Planning topical meetings
- 30 January is first meeting on Fast Simulation.
- 6 March - also Fast Simulation.
Reconstruction and Software Triggers
- Will resume work on January 15th when we’re all back.
- Priority will be workshop topics/speakers (given deadline of Feb
- Planning to have informal talks with ATLAS community during the last
week of January (P&P week) - goal: understand how this WG could be
useful (how the community/conveners of trigger and reconstruction
- Workshop proceedings being prepared.
- WG page is a PR
in the website repo.
- ATLAS have open sourced their Athena
repository, under as
“Apache 2 license, except where other licenses apply”.
- CMS are doing the same on Monday.
- Good opportunity to re-discuss with the FastJet authors, which
affects around 20% of Athena (turning it GPL).
- Next meeting end of the month.
- Planning workshop session.
General Matters and Roadmap
- CWP Roadmap was accepted by Springer for CSBS.
- CERN agreed to pay the Open Access fee.
Publication status for Individual WG Papers
- Event/Data Processing Frameworks
- Propose to organize the “Latin American Workshop on S&C Challenges
in HEP” under the umbrella of HSF in Mexico.
- 3 days workshop involving the LA institutes. Tentative dates
- The goal is to explore and consolidate new partnership
opportunities between Latin American institutions in S&C
research within HEP. It includes strengthening existing
collaborative efforts of Latin American groups with
international HEP laboratories and identifying future research
interests in common.