HSF Weekly Meeting #156, 24 January, 2019
Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Tommaso Boccali, Andrei Gheata,
Pere Mato, Mark Hodgkinson, Witek Pokorski, Caterina Doglioni, Andrea
Rizzi, Serhan Mate, Eduardo Rodrigues, Danilo Piparo, Heather Gray, Paul
Laycock, Davide Costanzo, James Amundson, Gloria Corti, Torre Wenaus,
Ian Colier, Agnieszka Dziurda, Liz Sexton-Kennedy, Martin Ritter, Daniel
News, general matters
- We have been asked by the INDIGO-Next project to provide a letter of
support for their proposal.
- Project initiated many useful developments in distributed
computing - analysis capture and preservation.
was approved by the meeting.
- CERN Computing Seminar next week is interesting Hardware acceleration with GPUs and
FPGAs (speaker from
Oracle), Tuesday 29 January, 16h CERN time.
- No Vidyo, but recording usually posted after the event.
Google Summer of Code 2019
- Remember the HSF deadline: February 4.
- Presentation last
week had all the
HSF/WLCG/OSG Workshop News and Planning
- Indico -
registration is open.
- Early registration ends on 1 February - please register now.
- There is a Google Sheet linked from the main
page to help
coordinate car sharing from Dulles (you take your own
responsibility for this!).
- If you are arriving/travelling from another airport you can also
use that spreadsheet (just make it clear which airport you
will be at).
- Reminder: David Lange, Michel Jouvin and Graeme Stewart organising
- General Sessions:
- Opening plenary session from HEP experiments and other
- Confirmed talks from LHC Experiments, DUNE, Belle II, Dark
Matter, Electron-Ion Consortium, LIGO, IceCube; yet to
confirm LSST, Lightsources.
- Plus discussion on WLCG future evolution.
- Closing Session, visionary talk and discussion on the future
- We will also hear about funding news from various projects -
important to have a community coordinated approach.
- DE (Thomas Kuhr)
- UK, IRIS (Pete Clarke)
- US, IRIS-HEP (Pete Elmer)
- If you are aware of any other projects that have secured
funding for software efforts can you let us know?
- Amber Boehnlein has agreed to do the final talk.
- HSF Sessions:
- Please fill in a first version of your detailed timetable in
the coming week, even if not all slots are confirmed.
- And do remember it’s a workshop - schedule generous
- Software on Accelerators.
- Graeme, Michel, David L are convening
- Confirmed talks on Accelerator Technologies, Framework
Integration, Patatrack, ALICE GPU Algorithms, MadGraph
- Still a number of other possible topics to follow-up and
- For other HSF Parallel Sessions, see WG activity reports below.
- One spillover BoF slot, Thursday late PM.
- Logistics of the Wednesday afternoon 3-way split might
entail moving some sessions to this slot.
Activity and Working Group Updates
- hsf-wg-convenors list can now edit the HSF
to add their meetings.
- Please set up mailing lists and advertise them on your group
Lot of good inputs being now processed. Next step on Feb 13th more
focused on existing technologies and ideas in development for data
- JLAB WS agenda still to be discussed.
meeting next week -
Fast sim from the LHC experiments.
- 6 March Machine Learning flavour.
- Workshop - sending invitations, 6 talks planned and speakers
Reconstruction and Software Triggers
- In each session we aim to have:
- 15 min + 5 min -> 4 talks + 10 min for general discussion.
- Contacted several potential speakers for HSF/WCLG/OSG workshop:
- A comprehensive real-time analysis model at the LHCb experiment
(waiting for the final confirmation).
- Similar “real-time analysis” request soon to be sent to
- We have tentative speakers, then speakers committees will
- Using FPGAs to accelerate machine learning inference
- ML in industry: forecasting traffic by Ximantis (waiting for the
- Expand possibility of having talks from ALICE O2, DUNE
track/reco, Belle II mails sent out, waiting for response.
- We already received other proposals - to be discussed among
- We aim to have a kickoff Reco&Trigger meeting on 6th Feb.
- Introduction to the WG.
- Open call for contributions.
- Thematic meetings to come later.
- Ongoing activity: We try to get a wide input/feedback about the
needs from the HEP community: discussions with trigger/reco
responsible people among experiments.
- We aim to have three main topics : monitoring/profiling tools,
static analyzers, and packaging.
- Looking for ~3 talks (i.e. one on each subject) w/ 50% talk 50%
- Solicited input from the community via e-mail. Can possibly
accommodate a few lightning talks if there is any interest.
- Workshop session at JLab workshop:
- Skeleton agenda finalised - lightning talks and 2 topical talks.
- 1 lightning talk confirmed.
- As for the rest: invitations out or about to go out.
- Still have space for 1-2 lightning talks. Do get in touch!
- FastJet authors contacted again.
- CERN KT were contacted to properly establish a procedure for
relicensing code that is copyrighted to CERN (in particular,
- Reminder: we have the forum slot Wednesday 17-18h CERN time every odd week (13
February + N * 2 weeks).
- Available for any HSF meetings
- With the new working groups starting some activity has moved out of
the ‘general’ session.
- However, for presentations on general problems, solutions and
links to other sciences this still has relevance.