HSF Weekly Meeting #161, 7 March, 2019
Present/Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Andrei Gheata, Danilo Piparo,
Pere Mato, Serhan Mete, Caterina Doglioni, David Lange, Jim Amundson,
Stefan Roiser, Paul Laycock, Heather Gray, Michel Jouvin, Liz
Sexton-Kennedy, Andrea Rizzi, Javier Cervantes Villaneuva
Apologies: Agnieszka Dziurda
News, general matters
- OpenLab Nvidia workshop:
- Electron Ion Consortium Software Workshop:
- 20-21 May in Trieste, Italy.
- Graeme has been asked to give a presentation for the HSF.
- Contact Markus Deifenthaler for more details.
Google Summer of Code 2019
- Proposal for Advisory
- Aim is to help to select projects against slots (assuming
slots < projects).
- Should also assess given the potential students.
- Criteria: novelty, student rank, impact, first time
projects, projects with multiple proposals, etc.
- Still need to be agreed on.
- We approve the idea - it can only help the process.
- If you would be willing to serve as on the AC please let HSF
- Pete Elmer expressed
HSF/WLCG/OSG Workshop News and Planning
- Indico -
registration is still open with 232 people registered (limit is 250).
- Reminder: David Lange, Michel Jouvin and Graeme Stewart organising
- JLab managed to improve the room setup - we “upgraded” from a
room of 60 to a capacity of 100 in the ARC centre.
- Room assignments are ~done - maybe a few last shuffles to
optimise for the new room sizes.
- Will do a sound check with LOC next week to verify Vidyo
connection is acceptable.
- Vidyo rooms to be created - Graeme will distributed the
moderation PIN in case it’s needed.
- For JLab this meeting is classed as a public event, so there are
no onerous requirements for entry.
- However, you do have to bring acceptable government issued
- You do need to wear your conference badge on site.
- Foresee 10’ extra on Monday morning to get a welcome pack and
for information on visitor parking
- Try to car share from your accommodation!
Activity and Working Group Updates
- Reminder to make sure your WG page has.
- Brief description of the interests of the group.
- Information on how to join the group’s mailing list.
- Information on how to contact the convenors (convenor list or
- A link to the group’s Indico category.
- Talks and speakers confirmed, agenda should reflect that by the
end of the day.
- Q: when is the discussion on shared MC samples between
collaborations happening? Can we invite some
- JLab sorted - useful interactions between experiments.
- Topical meeting
yesterday - 3 talks,
but filled all of the time as lots of good discussion.
Reconstruction and Software Triggers
- JLab sessions all settled (see last week’s notes).
- Next week: chat (maybe live, maybe email) with speakers to
look at talks and prepare 3-4 questions for the final
- Only used if audience isn’t proposing their own.
- Since we have Vidyo, we would like to announce the session to
the HSF trigger&reco list - good idea?
- Asking for questions via email to avoid possible
- Trying to organize first topical meeting.
- Topics: introduction to trigger&reconstructions for various
HEP experiments, two by two to encourage cross-talk.
- Contacted ATLAS&CMS trigger coordinators.
- They had a (non-public) meeting two weeks ago, we asked
for a summary of the public parts on:
- Trigger and DAQ usage/limits and data streaming model.
- How to design a trigger menu, trigger monitoring.
- LHCb just put this paper on the arXiv:
relevant for discussion.
- First available option on
(thanks!) next week, but many people at ACAT so probably
postpone to after JLab.
- WG Gitter
channel very active with
almost 70 people signed in!
- For information, a couple of extra channels have been created by
and for the benefit of the
- You are more than welcome to join any of the channels and
contribute to the exchanges!
- Session at JLab organised - 4th talk, but keep time for
- CERN have a webpage that recommends
- Still no response from FastJet authors.
- Any need for a meeting next week? (14 March)
- Probably not and it’s also ACAT, so many people will be away.
Only have a meeting if something urgent comes up.
- See you all at JLab!