HSF Weekly Meeting #170, 29 August, 2019
Present/Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Eduardo
Rodrigues, Serhan Mete, Torre Wenaus, Pere Mato, Liz Sexton-Kennedy,
Gloria Corti, Heather Gray, Michel Jouvin, Stefan Roiser, Sudhir Malik,
Daniel Elvira, David Lange
News, general matters
- ECFA Presentation Feedback
- The talk was well received (it’s on
as lot of positive feedback from senior ECFA people.
- Discussion focused on C++ (is it still the
right language for us? can it attract new talent to our field,
espc. from CompSci?); how to work in wider software
ecosystems, data analysis and ML; European Open Science Cloud
for resource delivery (to multiple communities, not just HEP);
how to manage legacy software and evolve/rewrite for new
architectures - how do we do this as a community?
- IRIS Support Letter
- Supporting students to come to CERN for a
- Not funded last time, but encouraged to
re-apply this year.
- See attachment in Indico.
Google Summer of Code 2019
- Remember to submit your final student evaluations
by September 2.
Google Season of Docs
- We got one technical writer for ROOT.
Activity and Working Group Updates
Reconstruction and Software Triggers
- At the last coordination meeting, we floated the
idea of involving other communities (dark matter, GW, etc.) to
understand what their software needs are and if there are points
- We have the chance to do it “live” (+Vidyo) at
as we could get a room for the Wednesday afternoon after the
end of the workshop, and it could make sense to do it HSF-wide
rather than just reco-trigger-wide.
- E.g. we could have a talk by one of the
members of ESCAPE
(Elena Cuoco) who is keen to collaborate on tools and wants to
know more about HSF.
- Other ideas? Opinions?
- General HSF overview would be a good
- Ask these other communities about their
- Is this specifically Reco & Software Trigger?
- Not exclusively, but it was a
direct contact with Caterina.
- Next reco & sw trigger meeting on Sept 4th, on
ALICE/LHCb trigger overview.
- Not much activity over the summer, coming back
Event Delivery Forum
- Have had one meeting over the summer.
- Next meeting Wednesday 11 September.
- Comment period has closed, Michel, Liz and Graeme
will meet tomorrow.
- Should we be progressing on this again? FastJet
contact attempts seemed to go to
- Current software isn’t even thread safe; there
is some interest in rewriting this from the US side and will
result in a more open license as it is the US policy.
- Graeme, Liz, Michel will have an offline
discussion on strategy.
- No meeting scheduled yet
- Less need for meetings now that the WGs are active
and doing a very good job!
Pre-CHEP (2-3 November)
- Many people have signed up for this, 130+.
- We are investigating having a more interactive
session on Sunday. This seems like a good idea, but will be
- Next planning meeting Tuesday 3 September,
Latin American Workshop on Software and Computing Challenges in HEP (Mexico, Nov 20-23)
- “First Latin American Workshop on Software and
Computing Challenges in HEP” is confirmed for November 20-23rd in
- Goal is for Latin American colleagues
interested in S&C to partner with each other and with the
international community (this may improve their funding
- This is also an opportunity for PIs in the
international community to network and partner with Latin
- Registration will open September 1st. Some
people associated with HSF have already confirmed
participation (i.e. Sudhir Malik, Gordon Watts). There will
also be participation of people from FNAL and CERN.
- Announcements will be made through HSF lists
and other avenues sometime next week.
- More members of our international HSF
community may be contacted by the scientific organizing
committee to give presentations on the different areas
described in the Roadmap (i.e. generators, simulation,
reconstruction, trigger software, distributed computing, data
management, etc.) Are there volunteers or interested
- One problem to resolve: the science budget
situation in a few Latin American countries has deteriorated
significantly in the last few months (you may know if you
follow the news). Advice from HSF members on how to contact
potential sponsors (HEP, industry) so that we have funds to
pay for participants/speakers from Latin America will be
welcome. A fund of the order of 10-20k would be of great help
to improve the situation. Any ideas?
- Will try to contact partners via OpenLab at CERN as one possibility.
Next HSF/WLCG Workshop
- 4-8 or 11-15 May 2020.
- We anticipate 3 hosting offers from:
- Sweden (Lund U and Umea).
- University POLITEHNICA of Bucharest in
- Prospective hosts are going to make short
presentations at the GDB in FNAL, 11 September
9h30 FNAL time, 16h30 CERN.
- Comments can be taken at the GDB and at the HSF
meeting the next day (12 September). Or email David, Graeme,
- Decision to be taken soon after that by organising
- AIDA++ planning Open Meeting next Wednesday (4
- No meeting next week (CERN holiday for Jeûne
genevois), reconvene 12 September.
- The entry for the weekly meeting in the HSF
calendar disappeared (oops!). It’s been recreated.