Present/Contributing: Benedikt Hegner, Andrea Valassi, Matti Kortelainen, Valentin Voelkl, Mason Proffitt, Kyle Knoepfel, Paul Laycock, Ben Morgan, Liz Sexton-Kennedy, Dorothea vom Bruch, Markus Diefenthaler, David Lange, Stephan Hageboeck, Krzysztof Genser, Josh McFayden, Michel Villanueva, Vakho Tsulaia
Apologies/Contributing: Graeme, Michel (conflicting meeting, adding news about the analysis ecosystem workshop)
News, general matters, announcements
Workshops in 2022
Analysis Ecosystems Workshop
23-25 May: https://indico.cern.ch/e/aew2
- Registration is open! (limited this to 80 in-person places).
- April 28: 80 people registered, 60 in-person
- Logistics under control
- Preliminary (but reasonably elaborated!) agenda is available
- Session conveners working to sort out the concrete content of each session
- Lot of time devoted to discussions, some during plenary sessions, others in parallel sessions (2h per topic)
- HSF Detector Simulation on GPU Community Meeting to be held 3-6 May
Google Summer of Code / Season of Docs
Submission finished. Ranking process starting.
HSF History Paper
Invited comments from coordination list and WG conveners.
Document to be finalized next week.
Andrea sent a few suggestions. Liz volunteers to follow up.
Graeme will give a talk on “Software Frameworks” in the JENAS meeting in Madrid 3-8 May (“frameworks” to be interpreted broadly as the whole data processing pipeline). Would like to highlight multi-experiment projects (like ACTS) and adaption to heterogeneous hardware (like Allen) as broad themes.
Meeting is primarily European, but see ICFA point below.
Draft slides will appear soon.
Working Group Updates
- Resubmission of Metadata paper requires signatures of all authors because of changes in author list. Sent an email to the WG on Tuesday 26th Apr, check your inbox if you are an author.
- Already mentioned Simulation on GPU workshop next week.
- Next meeting 23rd May on DD4HEP Status, joint with Reconstruction and Software Triggers.
- Thinking about future meetings, though June/July already quite busy on the community calendar.
Reconstruction and Software Trigger
- In contact with potential speaker for topical meeting on GNNs for tracking, date in May to be confirmed
- Held meeting on 7th April on Sherpa efficiency improvements
- Next meetings on MCEGs for neutrino physics as well as NP with a focus on the Electron-Ion Collider. Also meetings arranged in June and July on “Automating scattering amplitudes with chirality flow” (related to MCEGs on GPUs) and “Event Generation with Julia”.
- Conveners meeting next week to discuss meeting planning after this. One of the ideas is a discussion on the possible role of AI/ML for MCEGs.
- Matplotlib Training organized last week.
- A short 2-day workshop. Material and recordings are available.
- 100 participants registered. 70 participants online during the first day.
- We have useful feedback: via surveys, and suggestions from Thomas Caswell (Matplotlib project lead).
- Given the demand, we will organize a second training in the coming months.
- Next Software Carpentry workshop in July 2022.
- Working with Carpentries for getting the group of instructors for the basics (Bash, Git, Python).
- We will extend invitations for HEP instructors in the coming days.
Other Interest and Activity Areas
PR for the license change to HepMC3 has been approved.
Software in ICFA
ICFA secretary setting up a discussion round for May or June.
Next coordination meeting is scheduled for 12 May.