Dorothea vom Bruch,
News, general matters, announcements
Analysis Ecosystems Workshop
Outcomes and conclusions document is close to being released for comment.
Following on from the email from Zach and Ale, Graeme and Liz met with Zach and discussed how to progress on this.
We also want to discuss with Dan Katz and try to formulate best practice recommendations for software projects and experiments. There are quite some inconsistencies in what we cite and also if the citations are consistent with reproducibility of the results (e.g., specific versions and tunes).
To be followed up after the summer.
Working Group Updates
- 05.07.: First meeting on software training in HEP with contributions from LHCb and EIC. https://indico.cern.ch/event/1175096/
Second meeting on 27th of July with speakers confirmed from CMS, Dune, Belle II.
- Metadata paper officially accepted for publication in CSBS, but struggling with formalities to cover open access fees.
- Working with Graeme and CERN to get Open Access fee covered. Probably should have looked into this much sooner in the process.
- After discussion with the journal, they have agreed to change the corresponding author to someone from CERN
- This allows the paper to be published under the CERN ‘Read and Publish’ agreement with Springer. Thus there is no additional charge for open access.
- Planning to have a next meeting in October (perhaps September) due to other meetings on similar topics and summer vacations
Reconstruction and Software Trigger
- Speaker for GNN for Tracking is fixed (and new date to be found for July, after conflict with CERN IT/DS seminar)
- Potential next topical meeting: making commonly usable b-tagging applications, brought up by sPHENIX
- Pick up idea of topical meeting on RICH reconstruction after the summer break (speakers from LHCb and EIC community already contacted)
- PyHEP 2022 workshop planning is advancing
- Register and/or broadcast to colleagues. Much appreciated.
- 481 registrants so far.
- No topical meeting organised for this month - too much happening in general. Next meeting unlikely to happen before October after PyHEP 2022 in mid September.
- WG meetings
- 10th March: Snowmass Generators Whitepaper
- 24th March: ATLAS V+jets
- 7th April: Further Sherpa efficiency improvements
- 5th May: Neutrino event generators
- 2nd June: Automating scattering amplitudes with chirality flow
- 23rd June EIC/NP Generators usage (POSTPONED)
- Registrations now full for the next Software Carpentry workshop.
5th HEP C++ Course and Hands-on Training
Scheduled for 11 - 13 Oct. This will be the “advanced course” as a followup from the “essentials” training we had in March. We will include C++20 content.
Registration will open 5 Sep, 9 am CEST
A stub entry (clone of last meeting so far) is available at https://indico.cern.ch/event/1172498/
In addition to this course we plan to hold “special training days” on specific C++20 topics, e.g. one training is in the works for “C++ concepts”
Other Interest and Activity Areas
Compute Accelerator Forum
Last meeting on 29 June, covered AdePT and Celeritas.
Next meeting will be in September - contact Stefan, Graeme or Ben to propose a topic.
Software and Computing Roundtable
Next meeting is Tuesday 12 July at 11h EST / 17h CEST. Topic will be Analysis III: Tools and Techniques.
- The Future of Data Analysis According to ROOT - Lorenzo Moneta
- Highly Parallel Amplitude Analysis with AmpTools - Matthew Shephard
- Report from Analysis Ecosystems II Workshop - Oksana Shadura
HSF Mail in Spam?
After an intervention (finally!) by Microsoft, the junking of HSF emails by the MS spam filters seems to be avoided for now.
However, we would still like to progress towards a better solution for these lists
@hepsoftwarefoundation.org, which will require some support from a HEP laboratory to handle the email domain.
We have the opportunity to organise a dedicated GPU hackathon, from the
gpuhackathons.org series at CERN. If interested and want to join with a team please contact Stefan.
ESCAPE / EOSC-Future science projects meeting
- At CERN, 21-22/07: https://indico.cern.ch/event/1173792/
- Invited talk by analysis facilities (N. Skidmore)
- Join if you’d like to know what is going on (and register as we can provide coffee and cake :)
Next coordination meeting is scheduled for 21 July (after that we will take our usual August break).