HSF Coordination Meeting #255, 31 August 2023

Present/Contributing: Graeme Stewart, Eduardo Rodrigues, Pere Mato, Benedikt Hegner, Michel Jouvin, Efe Yazgan, Claire Antel, Markus Diefenthaler, Krzysztof Genser, Patrick Gartung, Elizabeth Sexton-Kennedy, Giulia Casarosa, John Chapman, Nick Smith, Sandro Wenzel, Uwe Acosta, Valentin Volkl

News, general matters, announcements

Google Summer of Code, 2023

First round of student reports today 16h CEST.


September LHCC

Kilian Lieret agreed to present the status of training in HEP to the LHCC for the September meeting.

Draft slides are here. Comments by Monday 4 September please!

November LHCC

Parameters for the generators focus topic for the LHCC in November workshop are being finalised - should be available in the next few days. This will follow-up on issues identified as part of the HL-LHC review process (negative weights, computational performance, etc.) and will include input from the experiments about their needs.

Discussions at the Event generators’ and N(n)LO codes’ acceleration workshop (13-14 November) will be important preparation!

RRB Reports

The text for the RRB report (covering 20 March - 21 September) is due 22 September. Graeme and Predrag are organising inputs from the projects and the HSF. Graeme will write the HSF report, so if you have anything you want to highlight please let him know.

Working Group Updates

Data Analysis

Rest of the year plans:

Software Training

C++ Course and Hands-on Training

Software Tools and Packaging

Detector Simulation

Reconstruction and Software Trigger


PyHEP2023 workshop in October. Will send a reminder about abstracts as the number is currently low. Aware of many topics, including follow-ups from the PyHEP.dev meeting.

German institute has offered to host PyHEP.dev 2024 next year.

Will think about topical meetings for after the workshop.


Would still like to have a presentation on HPX in September, but exact date not yet fixed.

Physics Generators

Next steps:

May be a bit longer term:


Other Interest and Activity Areas

Compute Accelerator Forum

Software and Computing Roundtable

Plan to restart these meetings in September.


Technical Note on Project Best Practices

We added a new section to the project TN on CITATION.cff files.

It would be good if people took 5 minutes to review the advice there and suggest any additions before we publish the update.


Benedikt started an issue in GitHub to gather ideas about reorganising and revamping the website to better reflect our areas of actual activity.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on September 14.

Reminder: please sign up for chairing this or one of the future coordination meetings - we need volunteers from now until the end of the year!