HEP Software Foundation Startup Team Meeting notes Mar 30 2015
Present: Andrea, Andrew, Liz, Michel, Pere, Torre, Benedikt
Excused: Dario, Graeme
No news on this
- Graeme: Summarized a long e-mail. Software Carpentry implies some sort of certification after 8-12 hours. Overoptimistic on the material. We sold avoid creating some barriers. We probably should do both: our thing and get in contact with them. He contacted some colleague on how to get started.
- Comment to Dario’s proposal: WikiFM is quite nice and produces nice pages. Markdown should be sufficient. A bit hesitant to recommend at this moment. Flexibility is very important. Should be easy for people that want to contribute with tutorial material.
- Liz: CMS uses Github to add tutorial material. We can use ‘tags’ to get consistent state of material For example of problems and answers to the students.
- We need to minimize the effort by people for collecting all possible material.
- Some concerns about WikiFM. It is perhaps a bit restrictive.
- Graeme will work with Dario to produce some slides for the CHEP meeting.
- Jim Kowalkowski will be approached by Benedikt again. There will be a meeting this week. Get involved in github discussion.
Prepare the vision to CHEP meeting.
Software Development and Services
- Not much progress on the Coverity service yet.
- Tech lab announcement on the availability of new architectures such as ARM64.
- Is anybody going to be at CHEP from TechLab?
Nothing new. Torre would like to make it more appealing and get more contributions.
- Andrew: Preparing a straw man document with the policies and procedure for acceptance of notes. The format can be PDF and provide a Latex template. People car use their preferred word processor copying the format from the Latex template. The document will be ready before to CHEP. He will prepare some slides.
- Everything sounds very reasonable.
- Benedikt suggested that packing discussion could be a note candidate.
Forums (reco algorithms, concurrency, …)
- Created the forum but there is no followup.
- Algorithm Forum meeting
- We should count on a rather short meeting (2-3 hours).
- Liz has volunteer to prepare and deliver the talk for WLCG. She suggested to re-use some of the existing material.
- Mentioned that this meeting could be an opportunity to get policy-maker people.
- Perhaps a good moment for the licensing discussion
- Proposed agenda layout:
- HSF intorduction
- Algorithm Forum presentation (early in the afternoon)
- Woking groups update
- Algorithm Forum early in the afternoon
- Pere will create an agenda in Indico.
- Check the Techlab and Fermilab participation.
- Members of the startup team participating: Liz, Michel, Pete, Graeme, Torre, Andrew, Pere, Dario, Amber