HEP Software Foundation Startup Team Meeting notes Oct 15 2015
Present: Pere, Liz, Benedikt, Dario, Andrea, Riccardo, …
News and General updates
- CMS Presentation S & C - No comments. Collect the presentations on accentual place in the Web.
- Open Source Foundation. Pete introduced this. There will be meeting with them. Torre, Liz, Pete The money involved in hiring layers … It would be simple. Getting the information has no cost and is probably worth.
- Andrea: DIANA has been presented to CMS? SSI2 proposal (NSF grant deliverable was about define a plan). Software Sustainability. NFS is now recognizing software as a pice of hardware that needs to be maintained and not just a by-product of some research activity.
- Ian Bird presentation
- Riccardo joined the meeting.
- Join with the effort of ROOT. In test to have single platform.
- A start to WikiToLearn platform backing up the project by the physics department. Getting momentum (in Italy).
- Reluctance of people to put the material.
- Text Books: ROOT O’Really book, Springer book on HEP software development. Get contributors by crowd sourcing. We only need to find volunteers. We could pay them would be a possibility. Students are used to get notes and write them into courses notes collaboratively.
- Dario and Riccardo will go to Fermilab to present what they have been developing.
- Giulio post that the CMS system was migrated to Alice. Some changes were made to be open to other experiments.
- Liz: two worlds are now being settled: CMake and independent script-lets.
- Andrea any tools should be designed to be as general as possible. We should get a presentation from Giulio. CMS will put some effort to collaborate with Alice on the tool.
- Comments to the draft document (from Liz).
- The restrictive license is always necessary in practice because we will always have one component that will be restrictive. When a component has the potential to be widely used then it need to be very permissive.
- Table combining license needs to be added into the document. The format is a bit screwed and perhaps we need to make it Latex.
Software knowledge base and communication
- Benedikt is waiting for feedback for the template by the startup team (private mail for the time being)
- Tomorrow he will have a session wit a candidate using the templet.
Discussion on next steps, plans for the fall
- Tab in the web.
- We need to advertise the contest. Voting mechanism. Newsletter should be a way to advertising it.