HSF Weekly Meeting #134, 19 April, 2018
Present/Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Benedikt Hegner, Dario Menasce, Riccardo Maria Bianchi, Andrea Valassi, Michel Jouvin, Pere Mato, Daniel Elvira, Peter Elmer, Liz Sexton-Kennedy
News, general matters
- Graeme, Stewart, Ben and Andrea are working on an HSF paper
submission to the Research Software Engineers
Will circulate the abstract to the startup team list in the next
few days after a first internal iteration.
- Graeme had a chat with Mike Seymour (MCnet). There is interest from
them in a workshop to follow up on issues related to generators
from the CWP. We need some help to organise that though - somebody
from the GENSER team could help. Maybe Markus/Andrea and
colleagues from CERN IT.
HSF/WLCG Workshop Follow-up
- Gather important items that we should be tracking after the workshop
(see workshop live
- See activity updates below
- Practical follow ups at the HSF level
- Inventory of community activities
- More variation in themes in these meetings (more topical)
- Cost Model and Performance WG: active work, expressed the will
to coordinate well with related HSF-work
- Collaboration guide for projects
- Draft by Benedikt. Iterating with Graeme.
General Matters and Roadmap
- Michel invited by IAC to give a plenary talk at CHEP about the CWP and
- CSBS journal contacted about the CWP publication: need to start
the official submission (Michel/Graeme discussing the details
with the editors-in-chief)
Publication strategy for Individual WG Papers
- There is an updated method
to build an author list
in the appropriate format consistent
with the main paper author list (reuse of affiliations and
Software Trigger and Event Reconstruction
- To be followed up. If submitted, update the CWP page on the
Data Organisation, Management and Access
- Almost there for arXiv publication… hopefully next week
Data and Software Preservation
- Mike has a PDF but doesn’t have the time to follow the
standard submission procedure : Michel/Graeme will contact
him to help.
Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Has been pushed on April 9 to arXiv.
- CWP page on HSF site must be updated with the reference
- Many comments received after Naples. We are integrating
Event/Data Processing Frameworks
- Working on last iteration; discussing last comments by other
people, in particular O2 (ALICE/FAIR)
Careers, Staffing and Training
- Would like to get help from people attending the next
Training Meeting (April 23rd, see below) in order to
prepare a text which represent the ideas of the widest
Facilities and Distributed Computing
- 50 people registered. Few more speakers confirmed. Will put up a
detailed agenda next week when Eduardo and Graeme are back.
- Belle II interested in a meeting with HSF on this topic.
- Graeme is organising this for May - just waiting for Doodle to
- License for DD4hep (and other AIDA software)
- Discussion to be had as part of the AIDA2020 meeting next week -
Frank and Witek know about our concerns about GPL.
- DD4hep seems to have agreed on copyright to CERN and LGPL as
- There will be a meeting of people interested in training Monday 23
April 16h CERN time (contact Dario or Sudhir for more details).
- LAL: a fellow will work over the summer on a web portal
inventorying/tagging (as automatically as possible…) available
online material relevant to our community.
- There will be a Frameworks Birds of a Feather session pre-CHEP on
Sunday afternoon (Hilton Hotel, same venue as PyHEP). Paolo,
Charles and Jim are organising this.
- There is no charge for this, but please ensure you are in Sofia
early enough to attend!
- Final selection of candidates by Google on April 23rd.
- Following what discussed in Naples, we started some common projects:
- Belle II uploaded to the Visualization repo the code they use
for exporting Geant4 geometry to 3D data exchange formats, in
the context of a new Belle II-ATLAS joint project.
- Started a new CMS-ATLAS project, based on a CMS project
developed by Tom Mc Cauley, to develop a framework to host
web-based VR (360degrees) images. Tom (CMS), Ric (ATLAS) and
Claire Bourdarios (ATLAS) thought to join the efforts from the
two experiments, to expand the CMS framework into something
useful for the whole HEP community. We started the joint
project yesterday, a student from Pittsburgh will help with
the implementation. More news to come.
- No formal meetings for the Visualization activities yet, but we are
planning to start them in the next weeks.
- A tentative plan to have a topical workshop in Autumn, at CERN. It
will be the second one: the first one was held at CERN in March
- Could dedicate meetings to particular topics at times. Simulation
could be one example.
- Meeting next week cancelled.