HSF Weekly Meeting #140, 21 June, 2018
It’s the summer solstice meeting!
Present/Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Dario Menasce, Andrea Valassi, Benedikt Hegner, Tommaso Boccali, Eduardo Rodrigues, Jim Pivarski, Michel Jouvin, Pete Elmer, Daniel Elvira, Riccardo Maria Bianchi, Pere Mato
News, general matters
- WLCG management board meeting decided to remove the moribund
Applications Area (AA). HSF will take on the role of reporting
software at the WLCG-MB and the LHCC.
- Graeme will by default take on that role for now.
- Old AA meetings stay, but now focused on SFT hosted software
- Need to follow-up with Belle II (task force meeting this week during
their collaboration General Meeting) and Fastjet.
- Currently busy putting out to arXiv the Training&Careers paper
(now in GitHub).
Almost there, will resume WG activity after publication (very soon,
thanks to Graeme)
- Had a meeting last week
Discussed more R&D proposals based on a deeper investigation of
- Build everything (Chris Burr and Ben Couturier, Nix)
- Prefix based environments (Guilherme Amadio and Graeme, Portage)
- Developer environment setup (Chris Green, SpackDev)
- Will have next
meeting 4 July
(sorry USA), to discuss CHEP talk
- SFT summer student has started, looking at using Spack to build the
- Agenda for the
pre-CHEP workshop is in place. Please sign up.
- We are investigating vidyo possibilities with CHEP organisers.
- The code of Ed Moyse’s WebGL based browser code in now in GitHub.
It has been used as the base for a community-driven web-based
event display developed for the TrackML challenge. The event display
will be further developed by the Visualization WG members.
- CWP paper is moving on: Ric merged post-Naples contributors’
additions; he also fixed, updated, and expanded the bibliography.
Tom and Ric are editing the text for submission. Latest version on
- There was a Software Development Tools meeting last week
- Good turnout, ~25 people.
- Extensive discussion on performance measurements, tools to do
this and comparisons.
- There is interest in working on a common warehousing and
- Next topics: static analysers, metric gathering tools.
- Next meeting
after CHEP will look at vectorisation and data layout libraries.
- Please suggest more topics!
HSF/WLCG Workshop Follow-up
- New activity areas for critical areas:
- We will set up working groups in analysis, reconstruction and
simulation areas soon, follow up on CWP roadmap. Means to
provide input to LHCC review.
- Please think about names of good people to be involved.
- Registration closed since June 15th. 71 registrants.
- Sponsorships: Nikhef grant received in the account. The transfer
from the Python Software Foundation has been confirmed. Together
with the registration fees all expenses are covered.
- Pre-workshop questionnaire had been sent ~10 days ago. Very good
response (43 participants replied so far).
- Other bits of admin being finalised. E.g. we now have our workshop
- In short, we are largely ready!
Generators Software Re-engineering Workshop
- Graeme and Andrea with a few people from MCnet. Generally positive response to
call. Now working on a
to outline the workshop’s background, discussion areas and
intended outcomes. (AndreaV: due to the ‘“too many Andrea’s”
effect, was not aware of Graeme’s document so I also started
never mind, should just merge them!)
- Hope to define work programmes that can attract support to the
critical areas of re-engineering and have long term
attachments with the generator authors.
- Want to have this before the LHCC review of HL-LHC plans.
- Possible conflict with Madgraph tutorial in November - early
General Matters and Roadmap
- Accepted final signature on the paper. Need to update the arXiv
version (hopefully the last time).
- Michel is following up on re-submission from the “ed board” HSF
Publication status for Individual WG Papers
- Machine Learning
- New content added. Now being reviewed and finalised.
- Data Organisation, Management and Access
- Data and Software Preservation
- Stuck in Michel (J)’s todo list...
- Event/Data Processing Frameworks
- Not quite final (but close) version now in HSF documents
- Careers, Staffing and Training
- Conditions Access
- Still a commitment, but no progress.
- IRIS-HEP proposal (a condensed version of the Strategic Plan that is
in arXiv) has been submitted. They would like a letter of
intention to collaborate that they can give to the NSF.
- Draft of that is
- We would like this meeting to agree to that.
- There will be a steering board that meets quarterly, HSF will be
- “Mechanical” question - which live body or bodies actually sign?
- OK for Graeme to sign, approved by this meeting.
- No dissent on this letter - approved.
- SFT group had some concerns about the way ROOT maintenance was
expressed in the submission. SFT believes that challenges are
being addressed successfully over time. There is agreement to collaborate
in the future.
- Website reorganisation underway:
- Please take a look and add suggestions or updates (Google Doc
collecting ideas is