HSF Weekly Meeting #141, 28 June, 2018
Present/Contributors: Benedikt Hegner, Graeme Stewart, Eduardo Rodrigues, Andrea Valassi, Michel Jouvin, Ben Morgan, David Lange, Dario Menasce, Pere Mato
News, general matters
- Graeme gave a talk on the HSF status at ATLAS S&C Week in Hamburg.
for reference (pdf version
to this week’s agenda).
- Generators workshop raised a fair amount of interest.
- Eduardo created an HSF community on Zenodo, see
It provides a nice way to tag our future DOI’ed publications and
search for them.
- Michel will circulate the draft of his CHEP presentation about CWP
and R&D out of it next week.
- Andrea: got WSSSPE (sustainable software) announcement through the
RSE list, workshop colocated with eScience in Amsterdam fall 2019.
Pete attended it years ago. Could be interesting to submit a
general talk on HSF and the CWP community process.
- Submission of papers by July 11th.
- To discuss via coordination list, but submission is quite
significant: 2 page paper for 5 minute talk; 10 page paper for
20 minute talk.
- No time to organize the follow-up discussion with Fastjet authors
before the summer, will do it after!
- A LAL fellow about to start working (4 months) on training material
inventory. Starting with the French context but has been discussed
with the Training WG (Dario et al).
- Meeting next
week to review
CHEP talk from Ben.
organised. Some interesting discussions about heterogeneous
computing at ATLAS S&C Week.
- Some nice discussion on the mailing list about profiling tools.
Giulio is starting to work on a WG page with this information for
- Next meeting 18 July (after CHEP).
- Graeme has discussed with some people from DIANA-HEP and HEP.TrkX
and they will be happy to contribute to future meetings.
- Pre-workshop questionnaire closed since yesterday. Excellent
feedback from 50 out of 71 participants! Input most useful for
discussions and open discussion on training.
Generators Software Re-engineering Workshop
- A few discussions with interested parties. Andrea investigating the
possibility of having the workshop in Firenze (Galileo Galilei
Institute for Theoretical Physics).
- To fix a date for the workshop, it would be useful to know the date
of the LHCC review early 2019. Would a workshop Jan-Feb 2019 be ok
if the review is later?
- Andrea: heard from CMS colleagues that Andy Buckley gave a talk
yesterday in the CMS generator group on "Performance bottlenecks
in MC community code", which probably mentioned the workshop
plans. Will try to get some feedback on how it was received.
- No progress last week on the one-page summary. Will meet
Michelangelo next week.
General Matters and Roadmap
- CSBS news: proper submission now done, using the editorial board
HSF email address. Has been received by the editor-in-chief! A
referee will be assigned soon.
Publication status for Individual WG Papers
- Data Organisation, Management and Access
- Submission work about to restart...
- Careers, Staffing and Training
- Last updates to CWP paper are almost there, should then be
ok to submit to arXiv. From my point of view (Dario) the
paper could be considered frozen: beginning the
procedure of submission to arXiv (Graeme pointed me out
the link to the how-to).
- First iteration of website reorganisation done by Graeme got merged
into production website.
- Got rid of the newsletter centre column (alas, this never really
- Now replaced with a bit of “topical” text - should be easier
to keep up-to-date.
- Activities link was updated to our active areas.
- CWP activity was moved into the Organization/About section (and
linked in the right places as well as redirected from the old location).
- There is now a Future
link, which is based off the HSF Google Calendar Agenda.
- It was much easier to make this work than to use Indico
(remember the website is built statically).
- But it does mean people need to remember to add events to
(could that be automated from HSF Indico?).
- N.B. This now mixes HSF events themselves with the other HEP
- Is this ok? Would people want a separate HSF event
calendar? Advantage would be clearer information
separation. Disadvantage would be another calendar to
subscribe to and manage.
- About section reorganised:
- Coordination team trimmed to active people (in last year).
- Dropped “timeline”.
- Presentations now easier to find.
- Links to CWP.
- Started a stub for inventory of
- Links to KB for now, but this is an “unordered” collection.
- Really, a TODO for everyone to help find the key projects.
- But we need to stay inclusive.
- Further ideas still to be collected
(or you can raise a GitHub
or make a PR directly).
- Benedikt has a copy (the only copy!) of the HSF logo in vector
- We will put this into the HSF documents repository and make sure
it’s linked from the website.
- Next week - not sure if we will have a meeting as people will be
busy preparing for CHEP. Will ask on Coordination list next week.