HSF Weekly Meeting #143, 30 August, 2018
Present/Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Andrea Valassi, Michel Jouvin, Giulio Eulisse, Eduardo Rodrigues, Serhan Mate, Maria Girone, Davide Costanzo, Tommaso Boccali, David Lange, Liz Sexton-Kennedy, Ian Bird, Markus Klute, Mark Neubauer
News, general matters
- ECFA Talk Feedback
- Talk was very well received by
they asked for a
that will go into a meeting report delivered to ECFA members.
- No activity over the summer. Should follow up with FastJet (Michel).
- Funding news from Sudhir:
- NSF proposal No. 1829707 titled “Collaborative Research:
CyberTraining: CIC: Framework for Integrated Research Software
Training in High Energy Physics (FIRST-HEP)” has been fully
funded for its three year cycle beginning August 1, 2018 - 31
- We should follow up on possible collaboration in a future meeting.
- Should re-start activities soon.
- Had a few meetings amongst key people around CHEP. Hope to follow up
in the Autumn in one of the HSF slots.
- No summer activity. Should plan next meeting given there are some identifiable topics.
- Meetings for after summer now being planned - please suggest and
volunteer subjects to cover. Check Indico for booked slots:
- Spark as an idea from Michel, as used by LSST. To follow up.
- Our post-workshop survey, now closed, was filled in by approximately
half of the workshop attendees. See
- Eduardo to create a Zenodo community to collect all workshop
contributions, so that DOIs are made - kind action having in mind
software work recognition.
- Post-workshop actions/initiatives:
- Eduardo will give a presentation about “Python in HEP” (1st
workshop, community activities) to LHCb in 2 weeks. Any interest
in such a presentation to other experiments?
- Graeme will give an intro talk for Python to INSIGHTS, only 90 minutes but an opportunity
to develop material as part of our training, try to base on StarterKit.
- Graeme sent an email with the status of HSF Platform Naming
and HSF Project Best
(for the latter, feedback before 31/7/2018).
- Nothing received, so Project Best Practices should be promoted
to a full TN (Markdown -> LaTeX conversion needed).
- Give people a little more time to read, given the summer break.
New Working Groups
- We propose 3 new working groups in the big 3 areas for HEP:
Simulation, Reconstruction and Analysis.
- Let’s ask the community more widely as well.
- Reco could kick off at HEP.TrkX Software Forum meeting (26 September).
- Some progress in identifying
We should aim to conclude rather quickly now.
Generators Software Re-engineering Workshop
- Dates of 26-27 November at CERN identified as possible.
- Gathering workshop organisers together, hopefully for a meeting
- Still weak on concrete offers to help organise from generator
authors; also would like more input from experiments on their
priorities and people to be involved.
- Very happy to have other HSF people also help here!
- Have spoken to DOE people.
- Frank Siegert can be contacted.
- EvtGen - Liz can send details on contact persons.
General Matters and Roadmap
- Revised draft sent to CSBS (references seemed to be missing from
the original submission).
- Graeme contacted by a new Nature journal (Nature Review?) who
would be interested by publishing the CWP… To be followed
- We got one more author request, but after discussion decided we
had to turn it down, with the CSBS submission being the end
Publication status for Individual WG Papers
- Software Trigger and Event Reconstruction
- Still needs to go to HSF repo
- Data Organisation, Management and Access
- Data and Software Preservation
- Still in Michel’s hands...
- “CWP paper is in a very good shape now: Tom and I worked on
that in these last weeks and it's almost ready to be sent
to the group for final comments, which I will try to do it
tomorrow.” - Ric
- HSF Logo in vector format - reminder of action on Benedikt.
- Next HSF/WLCG workshop
- Further discussions about the date led to the conclusion that
the workshop is pretty much boxed in to happen 18-22 March
- w/b 28 January is too early and risky for travel to the US
- w/b 25 February is a provisional LHCC week, which is
mandatory for computing coordinators and WLCG project
- Discussing the venue, we concluded that BNL would be a good
place to host this:
- ATLAS, Belle II and Nuclear Community home field
- Travel to NY is quite straightforward from everywhere
- They are keen to organise it and have made a proposal
- Registration ~$220
- Hotels ~$135/night
- Downside is that people need to have some car transport
available - not ideal, but with advanced notice and
sharing should be feasible
- Will probably need to go to Stony Brook campus Thursday
and Friday, but if people are in cars anyway, not much
- JLAB might be an alternative venue (this was also discussed).
- Is it very hard? Not so far from Washington (direct flights
- Nuclear community is interesting to us, which could make
- Dates being 1 month before the LHCC review is sought - that will
be discussed at the next LHCC meeting.
- Conclusion: we would follow up with JLAB about their availability
in 18-22 March slot and with BNL to see if we could avoid changing
- In the context of advertising jobs via the HSF lists there was a
discussion about setting up a Discourse server for HSF. Bruce
Becker promoted this idea and we have invited him to make a short
presentation. (No date set yet though.)
- There was an
to the website to add back/forward navigation links to the meeting
minutes. Unfortunately it relies on a Jekyll plugin to work, so
although it’s fine locally, but doesn’t work for github pages.
Thanks to Ruben and Liam for the patch though. I have some ideas
about how to adapt it so that it does work for us.
- Next week is Jeune Genevois - probably no meeting until