HSF Weekly Meeting #165, 9 May, 2019
Present/Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Tommaso Boccali, Marco Clemencic, Davide
Costanzo, Serhan Mete, Andrea Valassi, Guilherme Amadio, Michel Jouvin, Heather
Gray, Daniel Elvira, Ben Morgan, Agnieszka Dziurda
News, general matters
- European Strategy Update symposium in
Granada next week:
- There is a general introduction to computing on Monday
- Software and Computing Parallel session Wednesday AM, covering
current status and R&D topics for the future.
- Graeme’s Software R&D has much HSF inspiration in it,
and comments welcome (N.B. it is driven a lot by the set of
submissions to the process).
- Future Collider Software Workshop is being organised in Bologna,
- A follow-up project to
is planned, with an EoI call expected soon.
- The software group of AIDA2020 is planning a f2f meeting at
CERN 17-18 June to discuss tasks that might form part of the
- Contact Witek Pokorski and Frank Gaede for more details.
- UK STFC Opportunities Call:
Google Summer of Code 2019
- 34 slots granted, +5 slots cf. 2018. 33 used.
- There is a mentors meeting at 17h today.
- Accessing CERN gitlab for external people is a problem.
- It’s a pain to register people so they can comment, submit MRs, etc.
(N.B. public projects can be viewed in all cases, for our open source code).
- CERN IT had recommended using GitHub in this case; to use CERN
resources the policy is users have to register properly.
Activity and Working Group Updates
- Meeting last week, JLab summary:
- Meeting right now, analysis level metadata:
- Meeting yesterday on simulation on accelerators:
- Two very interesting talks and lots of discussions:
- Philippe Canal on the Geant Exascale Pilot Project.
- Zhihua Dong on the ATLAS FastCaloSim on GPUs Project.
- Perhaps we should consider a follow up session on the same
topic in the future as we missed ALICE and LHCb this time.
- Meeting in June:
Reconstruction and Software Triggers
- ATLAS/CMS cross-talks:
- Plan to have meeting on 5th June:
- Topic: Algorithms and data structures to efficiently exploit
many-core architectures - one of the topics described in CWP.
- Two contributions from LHCb are confirmed.
- Next meeting today,
- Following up on ATLAS/CMS comparison as discussed at the workshop.
- CHEP abstract planned.
- Will follow up on GPUs in a later meeting.
- Mandate for this
has been drafted.
- We now invite comments on that.
- And we would like to receive nominations for convenors.
- Send to HSF Coordination or to Graeme and Liz directly.
Pre-CHEP (2-3 November)
- Short meeting this week. Everyone seems to be happy with the idea
of an analysis focused workshop.
- Covering facilities to code and analysis interfaces.
- Next meeting this month, include the DAWG and DOMA convenors and
get a draft agenda together.
- Simulation developers asked for an HSF convened meeting to present
the results of the GeantV prototype and to discuss plans for the
- Date now settled, 15th October, 14-18h (avoid ATLAS Week!).
- CERN have added some Nvidia GPUs to lxbatch. If you want to use
them add “request_GPUs = 1” to your Condor submit script.
- RSE 2018 Conference,
- We did not resubmit the abstracts from last year (deadline was May 7), it would
still be good if someone attends, also to understand why our previous
submissions had been rejected. We know that Stefan Roiser did
submit an abstract on a software institute.