HSF Weekly Meeting #166, 23 May, 2019
Present/Contributors: Graeme Stewart, Tomasso Boccali, Pere Mato,
Andrea Valassi, Daniel Elvira, Serhan Mete, Ben Morgan, David Lange,
Michel Jouvin, Eduardo Rodrigues, Witek Pokorski,
Concezio Bozzi, Heather Gray, Lukasz Kreczko, Martin Ritter, Stefan Roiser
News, general matters
- European Strategy Update meeting in
Granada last week:
- Instrumentation and Computing session had lively discussion
focused a lot on training and career paths for people who
specialise in these areas.
- See summary
from Brigitte Vachon.
- Thanks to all who commented on the draft of Graeme’s slides
(it helped a lot!).
- CERN Academic Training Programme:
- Speeding up Scientific Codes in HPC Architectures by Code
Modernization: Lessons Learned, Jose Garcia, University of
- June 5 and June 6 at 11h
- Not broadcast, but video available post facto.
- TrackML Grand Finale, CERN 1-2 July:
Activity and Working Group Updates
- Topical meeting held on 8 May on compute accelerators.
- Meeting 12 June, Detector Geometry Description Tools:
Reconstruction and Software Triggers
- Meeting yesterday on ATLAS/CMS trigger systems/operations based on
previous joint discussions between the two experiments. 20-30
- [Next meeting])https://indico.cern.ch/event/823263/) on 5th June:
- Topic: Algorithms and data structures to efficiently exploit
many-core architectures - one of the topics described in CWP.
- Two contributions from LHCb are confirmed. This will be a
first in hopefully a series of related discussions on
algorithmic approaches. We’ve just asked for
suggestions/volunteers for contributions on our mailing list.
- Group has had two meetings in the last few weeks. Will ask for an
update in a future meeting.
- Mandate for this
has been drafted and commented on (thanks!).
- We would now like to open nominations for a 2 week period
(until 7 June), we seek the canonical number of 3 convenors.
- Self nominations welcome.
Latin American HSF Workshop
- Instituto Politécnico Nacional, Ciudad de México, Nov. 20-22 2019,
under the “auspices” of HSF.
- Mostly a gathering of the HEP Latin American community interested
in S&C with the goal to meet each other and discuss opportunities
for collaboration within the region and with the international
- The scientific programme is in the works.
- There will be invitations to members of the international
community and registration will be open to everyone. The event
will be announced in the near future through the HSF list.
- We will put this into the calendar.
Pre-CHEP (2-3 November)
- Next meeting later this month, include the DAWG and DOMA convenors
and get a draft agenda together.
- Next CHEP bulletin planned for ~2 weeks, so we need a text and
Indico stub ready for that time.
- HSF Presentations
- No meeting next week (Ascension Holiday at CERN and much
- AIDA++ follow up call for expressions of interest has been made.
There is a f2f meeting at CERN on 17-18 June: